Monday, January 4, 2010

I have thoughts too!

Writing used to be easy for me. It used to be something I enjoyed. It used to be something I could feel a bit proud of. Now? Not so much. It is a struggle. A struggle to find something to say. A struggle to find a way to say it. A struggle just to keep my mind on track and not allow it to wander off to wherever it is that minds go when we temporarily lose them.

But, I am practicing optimism this new year. I am a born realist who has been drifting towards the dark side of pessimism for some time now. So I am making a sincere effort to find hope where I didn't think there was any to be had, to see the good in situations that appear to be all bad, and generally just adjust my attitude. I am sure some of you reading this will be happy to hear that!

So, in the spirit of optimism, I believe that my mind is like a muscle. I have sadly allowed it to atrophy. I have given in to the sleep deprivation, constant struggles with stressful situations and events, and the laziness inherent in us all. NO MORE! I will work out my brain. I will teach it once again how to complete a sentence, think abstractly, and put together coherent thoughts in a way that will not only make sense, but be interesting again too! But please be patient with me, this could take some time. :)

For today I think I will set myself a small, achievable goal. I will write something at least once a week, here on this blog, that is structured and predictable. Maybe a top 5 list. Yeah, I like that.

Let's make it Mondays, since today is Monday. There is no time like the present after all. Off the top of my head.......

Top 5 reasons I love my computer:

Sure, we take it for granted now but, when you think about it, it truly is amazing. Just 10 years ago I did not know my way around a basic computer and was afraid of even turning our first PC on and off! Now I can take care of my banking, shop, research, and make friends all from the comfort of home.

1. Instant information.

If I have a question that needs an answer I turn to the almighty Google. Or, more currently, Wiki. My mom still likes to look things up in her dictionary. Yes, a real one made of paper and everything! But my sister and I are slowly helping her transition to the cyber-way. First step her banking, next step her library account! Ahhh, progress.

2. The ability to make friends.

I am sure that most everyone who owns a computer has made at least a friend or two online. You could take 'em or leave 'em. You surely wouldn't die without them. But for me, my computer IS my social life. Such is the life of a person who is mostly housebound due to illness.

3. Do the banking.

What a major innovation. Seriously! No more line ups. No more wondering if there is enough money in the account to cover an imminent purchase. No more making appointments and sitting in a stuffy office talking to a stuffy person any time you want to make a change to your credit card or loan account. And, most importantly, no more having to go out in the bitter cold of an Alberta winter just to pay the bill to make sure that the heat doesn't get shut off!

4. Shopping.

If we had the ability to go back in time 30 years and tell our mothers that one day they would be able to turn on a device that looks much like a tv set and buy anything they wanted from anywhere in the world and have it shipped right to their doors what do you think they would say? Right, we were nuts. Totally and completely certifiably insane. And it would have given our poor dads a coronary to know that the money they brought in could be spent without ever even seeing it!

5. It provides a great distraction and entertainment for adults and kids alike. And it is educational (providing you want it to be!). Lily's love of the computer has been my saving grace many a day. And now that we also have a laptop I am able to get online and distract myself when things get a little to intense around here.

Well, not the most interesting stuff in the world I have to admit, but I did manage to make complete sentences and stay on topic. Yay me!





2 comments:

  1. YAY!!! Keep writing dear friend! Keep those brain muscles working. I like my computer for one other reason. It is the coolest thing to realize that your small children can operate it just because they watched. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is a good one too Deb! It is amazing to watch our children learn so effortlessly. It's more true than I realized that children are like sponges...they truly seem to actually absorb information.

    ReplyDelete