Saturday, July 25, 2009

10 years together

Yesterday marked hubby's and mine 10th anniversary. When we got married, we did not plan a honeymoon. But, being young and stupid, we decided to take one with all of the wedding cash we got instead of paying down debts (but that's a whole 'nother story!). We really wanted to go to Hawaii but, on short notice, could not book a trip there (he was due to leave for Kosovo on a tour of duty 2 weeks after our wedding) so settled on Florida instead.

It was a great trip. I had never been on a plane before, had never been to a tropical beach before (but had been to the ocean on the West coast-BC- several times), we had decent hotels, travelled from one coast of Florida to the other, went to Universal Studios and Seaworld....but it wasn't Hawaii, lol.

So, in my head only, I had a Hawaiian vacation planned for our tenth anniversary. When we conceived Lily I did the easy (thankfully) math and knew that a 3 year old should be able to stay with my parents or my sis and her hubby while Jesse and I made our great escape. But I did not factor in one teensy part of the equation- L.I.F.E.

Silly me.

Who could have predicted that we would still be struggling with sleep deprivation and stress out the wazoo 3 years after the birth of our bundle of joy? Well, if anyone could have, it would have been me. I have a habit of planning for the worst and then enjoying when it doesn't happen. But this time I was completely blind sided.

So, yesterday we did not get to go out to dinner, didn't even order out. We did not buy each other gifts or have a night of wild abandon. And we certainly weren't anywhere near Hawaii! BUT, we are still together after 10 years and don't plan on that changing anytime soon. In this age of quickie divorces and multiple marriages, I am proud to say that we are sticking out the tough times, weathering the storms of life, and haven't killed each other....yet ;)

So, maybe we can plan a tropical vacation complete with lying on a beautiful beach sipping drinks with little umbrellas for our 20th (if I haven't killed him by then!)

1 comment:

  1. when I asked hubby if he liked my blog after reading him this post he replied "yes, it's funny. Don't kill me" lol.

    ReplyDelete