Monday, February 2, 2009

I miss my husband :(

Just like the title says, I miss my husband.

But, I am very proud of the sacrifice he is making for our family to have a more secure future. He joined the army when he was 19, going straight into the Infantry. Well, that was great for a young man without a family but not so good for us now. It meant him constantly going to the "field" for training exercises and knowing that he would have to do "tours" in Afghanistan for as long as our military is committed to being over there. And, now that he is a daddy, he just doesn't want that kind of life anymore. And he is a great, very hands-on, dedicated father.

So, after much scrambling, much prayer, and MUCH stress, he is currently in the firefighter academy across the country training to be a military firefighter (which is technically and Air Force trade) and will not graduate until June of this year.

So, not only will he be in a job that does not require him to leave us for extended periods of time anymore, or do war /peacekeeping tours, but he will also have skills that will be applicable when he chooses to retire from the military (which he is planning to do at the 20 year mark). If he stayed in the infantry he would have next to no transferable skills and would most likely have to take a "joe-job" to supplement his pension just to make ends meet for us.

I am very proud of him, especially with him remaining strong in his faith when it would be so easy to just "go with the flow" and cave to the influence of the guys he is training with. 

I hope the time just flies by between now and June, and I hope the visits home he has planned can actually happen!

(I love you J)

2 comments:

  1. I just can't imagine all the sacrifice your family has to give up. I am glad he found something else within the military.

    ReplyDelete